West Market Street… History of Commerce

Bolivar, Tennessee, West Market Street, photograph, ca 1890, history of businesses
North side of West Market Street: from the left side of the photograph down through today’s alley was the original location of the Methodist Church, built in 1824. After the church, Cozart Mansion was here, and by all oral accounts, was a¬†spectacular vision. Otherwise, most of these building in this photo were built in the 1890′s. The businesses throughout the years, left to right, include:

130 West Market, Cox and Enoch Insurance, Cliff Insurance, Boyle’s Church Supply, H&R Block and Burles Dress Shop(50s,60s);

128 W. Market, Bolivar Mortgage;

124, City Barbershop;

120, John Black Cafe (1895);

118 Cliff Insurance (1895), Fayette Co. Bank;

116, Jimmy Young’s Variety Store (1895), Doug Weaver’s office;

114, Sun Lie Donuts (1960s);

110, Silver Moon Cafe, Downing Grocery, and Purple Daisy;

108 West Market (designed by Fletcher Sloan 1870), Hardeman County Savings Bank (1903), Cates Jeweler;

106, Advance Business;

101, Hornsby Law Firm.

Posted in Bolivar History, Downtown Bolivar | Tagged , , | 2 Comments